Hiyashi-Chuka are cold Ramen noodles that are popular for summer lunch. Many Ramen restaurants sell Hiyashi-Chuka (cold ramen noodles) on the menu during summer only. Hiyashi-Chuka is usually served with several vegetables and meat, so it’s a good balanced meal for health. And colorful toppings and cold noodles really refresh you in the hot summer.
Hiyashi-Chuka is mainly seasoned with soy sauce and rice vinegar. But you can blend other seasoning like oyster sauce, chili, and sesame paste, etc.. I love sesame flavor, so this recipe use sesame paste and ground sesame. Let’s try!
Recipe: Hiyashi Chuka (2servings)
• 5-7oz (150g-200g) fresh ramen noodles (2 portions)
• 1/2 cucumber
• 1/2 tomato
• 3-4 okra
• 2 eggs
• 3-7oz (100-200g) chicken breast meat
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce (for chicken)
• 1 tablespoon sesame oil (for chicken)
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger (for chicken)
• 1 teaspoon ground garlic (for chicken)
* You can use other vegetables and meats like beef or imitation crab that you like.
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 2 tablespoon water
• 1 tablespoon sesame oil
• 1 tablespoons sugar
• 1 tablespoon ground sesame
• 1 teaspoon mustard
• 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
• 1 tablespoon sesame paste
If you don’t have sesame paste, let’s cook without it. It’ll be delicious general Japanese Hiyashi-Chuka.
1. Prepare Usuyakitamago (egg crepe), Ramen Egg (seasoned boiled egg) or boiled egg that your choice.
The recipe is here! • Egg Crape Recipe • Ramen egg recipe
2. To make the sauce. Combine ingredients of the sauce without vinegar, heat them over medium heat or in the microwave until boiling. After heating it, put the vinegar into the bowl, and whisk well together. Then let it cool in the fridge.
3. Boil the chicken, and shred it by hand to bite size pieces. Then, season with soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and 2 tablespoons broth left over after boiling meat. Let it cool in the fridge.
4. Julienne the cucumber. Cut the tomato into wedges. Boil okra for 30 seconds and slice into thin strips.
5. Boil the ramen noodles according to package directions. After boiling, add the noodles into ice water to cool. Drain the noodles well and place the noodle on plates.
6. Pour the half of the sauce on the noodles, and mingle well together. Place all ingredients on the noodles, then pour the remaining sauce.