Chawannmushi is a Japanese egg custard dish. It’s different from many other custard dishes. Chawanmushi is very, very soft and smooth. It consists of an egg mixture flavored with soy sauce, salt, dashi, with some ingredients.
* 6 ginkgo nuts (If you can get)
- Preheat the oven to 340°F(170℃) and boil the water. Prepare the ingredients. Slice the mushrooms into 5mm pieces. De-vein the shrimp and remove the shell seasoned with a pinch of salt. Cut off the hard bottom of mushrooms and separate them. Cut the chicken into bite size pieces.
- Make the egg mixture. Beat the eggs well and put into dashi, salt, and soy sauce. And then, strain the egg mixture with a strainer until smooth.
- Add the ingredients into the little bowl, and then, Add the egg mixture gently.
- Place the bowls in the baking tray and cover the bowls with tin foil. Pour the boiled water into the tray. Bake until set, about 40-50 minutes. Garnish with mituba leaves.
There are a variety of ingredients of chawannmushi. You can put the ingredients that you like, such as ginkgo nuts, mushrooms, shrimp, chicken, camaboko, Mitsuba (Japanese honewort), mochi, cheese, and so on. You can make it with many types of ingredients or only egg mixture that doesn’t contain other ingredients. We can enjoy smooth egg custard, and umami (dashi flavor).