We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links at no extra cost to you.
‘Bubble or Boba tea’ often heard its name? We love Bubble tea, and there is nothing better than having a bubble tea kit at home and experiencing this tea’s real flavor.
You might be searching for instructions after preparing the batch of bubble tea.
Well, you must know in detail first what exactly is bubble tea and its origin!
Bubble tea history
Bubble tea, also termed as boba tea, is among one of the tea preparations that has been used intensively not only in the country where it was originated (i.e., Taiwan) but also abroad as well. You can easily find Boba tea everywhere, but have you ever wondered who came up with the idea of adding Tapioca balls in tea?
According to Wikipedia, There are two competing stories for the origin of bubble tea. The Hanlin Tea Room of Tainan, claims that it was invented in 1986 when teahouse owner Tu Tsong-he was inspired by white tapioca balls he saw in the Ya Mu Liao market. He then made tea using the tapioca balls, resulting in the so-called “pearl tea.
The other claim is from the Chun Shui Tang tearoom in Taichung. Its founder, Liu Han-Chieh, began serving Chinese tea cold after he observed that coffee was served cold in Japan while on a visit in the 1980s. The new style of serving tea propelled his business, and multiple chains were established
Bubble tea includes chewy tapioca balls along with other toppings in it. The oldest tea, includes hot Taiwanese black tea, small tapioca pearls, syrup, and condensed milk with honey. It is usually served with cold rather than hot water or milk.
The making of tapioca pearls includes starch of the cassava that was introduced to Taiwan from South America under Japanese colonial rule.
Bubble tea origin
Bubble tea is a famous tea-based drink that was originated in Taiwan in 1980. The milk tea was already familiar to Taiwan’s people as it was a tea-drinking robust practice in East Asia.
The name bubble was given to it because it was shaken with ice to form bubbles, which is a foamy layer on the tea top along with Chewy Tapioca balls in it.
It is effortless to prepare with the ice-blended version that needs to be added into a blender that will undoubtedly result in a slushy consistency.
Bubble tea taste
The taste of bubble tea depends on the fruit syrups which you will be adding to your tea. The flavors can vary from sweet and saccharine to nutty ones, along with variations that your taste buds want. Some of the flavors include:
Bubble tea health benefits
If you add the right ingredients and keep the extra sugar away, bubble tea is no doubt best for the health.
If you are getting this tea from a shop, they will add condensed milk and excess sugar that will only result in extra calories, making it an unhealthy drink.
By getting your own bubble tea kit, you can prepare it the way you want and prepare a healthy version of the bubble tea that consists of many health benefits. Few of which are:
- It provides energy to the body.
- It helps to strengthen the immune system.
- If you are preparing bubble tea at your home with the help of a bubble tea kit, the antioxidants and the anti-inflammatory compounds will help strengthen the blood vessel walls, which will help the arteries to form plaque.
Recipe to prepare bubble tea at home
- You need to take 8 bags of black tea or 3 tablespoons loose-leaf black tea
- Take 4 cups hot water
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca pearls
- Full cream milk to serve (your choice of milk)
- syrup to serve after the tea is ready (or your choice of sweetener)
Ingredients for the preparation of a simple syrup:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
Bubble tea preparation
Take the water and boil it. Add the tea bags to it. Let the tea bags boil all together, leaving their flavor in the water. After this, let the tea sit in water till it gets chilly.
Preparing the syrup if required:
Add sugar in the water in a saucepan and stir continuously while keeping the heat on. The flame must be medium-high and cook till the sugar thoroughly mixes with water. Remove the saucepan from heat and let the syrup cool.
Cooking the tapioca pearls:
Have you ever imagined boba tea without tapioca pearls (It is more or less just a shake full of water)? Now, we need to add tapioca to the tea but wait, how to prepare it?
Boil 4 cups of water and add tapioca pearls to it. Keep stirring, and then wait for the pearls to float on the top—Cook for around 10 minutes.
Keep checking in between for the pearls’ softness if they need to be boiled more or not. For this purpose, you must use a slotted spoon to remove the pearls when the water is hot.
Rinse then the pearls with water. Mix the pearls into the syrup already prepared.
In details steps: How to Prepare Tapioca Pearls for Bubble Tea?
- The first step is to boil water. Keep in mind it must be a minimum of 7 parts of water to 1 part tapioca.
- When the water gets boiled, add tapioca pearls to it.
- Stir it continuously so that no tapioca is settled down at the bottom.
- Keep a check that the tapioca pearls are floating to the top and boiling.
- Prepare it on high flame for around 15 minutes with a cover on it. You also need to maintain a rolling boil and keep stirring in between.
- Once the boiling is done, steep the cooked tapioca for 15 minutes without covering it.
- In the last step, you need to run either cold or lukewarm water and then drain the pearls’ water.
- Cover with sugar syrup or brown sugar (whatever you want). Serve it when you want!
Assembling the bubble tea:
Strain the bubble tea into a pitcher. Take four glasses and equally divide the tapioca pearls cooked. Add few ice cubes to each glass. Add prepared tea in every mug. Now add milk as per your requirement and sugar syrup (optional), and then here you go!
Your bubble tea is ready to drink!! You can add milk and syrup as per your taste!
Best 5 bubble tea kits list
Here is the list of the 5 best Bubble tea kits that we will evaluate today:
If you want to make authentic bubble tea, here with the help of “Fusion select” kit, you can make the best bubble tea. It includes four flavors of powder and 2 bags as well. The flavors are helpful to mix and each can get its favorite flavor in one kit.
- It comes in four flavors.
- It is easy to make as it includes everything to get in a cup of boba tea!
- It is full of high-quality tapioca pearls; along with excellent straws and packaging.
- It needs too much into making the tea.
- Loose Tea leaves
- No artificial tea milk or textures/powders
- Premium bubbles
- Can make 20+ drinks
- Vacuum sealed for maximum freshness.
- Boba bubbles take longer to cook
- No seal bag for the tea leaves
If you want bubble tea on the go, then look no further, this kit containing tapioca pearls, coated in brown sugar syrup, classic milk tea, individually packed into single-serving portions is the best option for an easy and quick snack.
- Ready in 1 minute.
- Comes in 6 individual sets
- Has a long shelf life (1 year)
- Microwave preparation.
- Comes with 6 straws.
- Powder flavors are tasteless according to some customers
- Doesn’t taste so good with water.
- Some customers complain about low quality of the boba pearls
- Can make 30+ drinks
- Have 5 cups, 5 bubble lids, and 5 fat straws in the set.
- Also comes with a cocktail/ tea shaker
- Premium flavors
- The shaker is not always reliable.
- Doesn’t have any recipes on the package.
This tea kit can be your ultimate choice. It has 6 flavors (Taro, Honeydew Melon, Green Tea Latte, Milk Tea, Thai Tea, Spiced Chai Tea Latte) and a complete kit (2 Packs of 10 oz 5 Minute Boba Pearl; 10 Cups with Dome Lids, 10 Fat Boba Straws, and 1 Tea Shaker)
- Can make 60+ drinks.
- Comes with 10 cups and 10 straws.
- Also comes with a tea shaker
- Has easy to follow instructions.
- Shaker and the cups can be unreliable.
- Needs a lot of powder to achieve the flavors.
- Bubbles are not always soft and chewy on cooking.
- Can I make bubble tea at home?
Of course you can! now you have everything you need to make delicious bubble tea at home! You can get any of the bubble tea kit which can help you make the best bubble tea at home easily.
- Do the bubble tea kits contain cups?
There are no cups usually in most of the kits. Using personal cups though, will help to protect the environment in getting fewer plastic wastes.
- Is the bubble tea kit gluten free?
Tapioca pearls are mostly gluten free.
Bubble tea or boba tea, is among one of the best tea preparations that has been used intensively all over the world. With the different brands of bubble tea kit, now you can prepare your own kind of tea by just sitting at home!
Bubble tea kit is always delicious and refreshing which is considered as a great beverage enjoyed all over the world. These kits give an advantage to you to prepare your own kind of tea at home.