We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links at no extra cost to you.
As a left handed person, it can become quite frustrating to cut with right-handed knives. Just searching up these knives can cause a conundrum; there are so many options, but which one to choose? Which knife has the longest durability? Can I use them on daily basis? There is so much to look out for!
But don’t you worry, because we have scoured the internet and pin-pointed the best left handed Japanese knives for your viewing pleasure. We will get into the nitty-gritty of the situation and talk about the good, the bad, and the buyable.
Here is the list of the 5 best left handed Japanese knives from Japanese brands that we will evaluate today:
- Best for slicing: Global G-11L Yanagi Sashimi Knife
- Best for beginners: KS&E Hasegawa Stainless Steel Knife
- Best ergonomic design: Inofia Professional 67 Layer VG10 Chef’s Knife
- Best for sushi chefs: Yoshihiro Shiroko High Carbon Steel Kasumi Yanagi Knife
- Best budget: Mercer Culinary Asian Collection Yanagi Sashimi Knife
Global G-11L Left Handed Japanese Yanagi Sashimi Knife
The global Yanagi Sashimi knife is an excellent choice for the delicate cutting of paper-thin slices. The 10 inch, 25cm long left handed Japanese knife has a stainless steel blade and doesn’t disappoint.
- The blade of the knife is made of stainless steel; hence it doesn’t need high maintenance.
- It is very sharp (cuts paper-thin slices).
- Its handle is ergonomically designed with pitting for more prolonged use and is anti-slip.
- The knife has a perfect balance (sand-filled handle), hence is easy to grip.
- Has on side curve edge for left-hand users.
- It easily fits in the knife block.
- It is ready to use out of the box.
- Can cut boneless meat and fish with ease.
- It cannot be used to cut through bone.
- It is 10 inches long, hence not comfortable for everyone to handle.
- Doesn’t come with a sheath.
Does it need a sheath?
Since it is stainless steel, a paper sheath or a knife block is sufficient.
Does it cut other meat?
The knife can be used for anything boneless.
This knife is raved on about by the customers. They have credited its sharp blade and ergonomic grip and the fact that the blade is stainless.
The knife can be perfect for you if you need a razor-sharp and does not need much maintenance. Honestly, the average person doesn’t want to maintain a knife, so this knife is more favorable.
KS&E Hasegawa Stainless Steel Left Handed Japanese Knife
The KS&E left handed Japanese knife is produced in Japan, so you know it comes from its source. An eloquently designed storage box accompanies the blade. It has a unique production of ice tempering with heat treatment.
- The knife has an extremely sharp blade.
- It Has a single edge blade, perfect for left handed users.
- It can be used for sushi and sashimi preparations, meat and fillet cutting, and other seafood preparation.
- It has a stainless-steel blade, which is easily maintained. The blade is impervious to discoloration and rust.
- The bolster is Wenge wood carved that is ergonomically designed and has a non-slip grip to it.
- It can be used by beginners and experts alike.
- It is lightweight and can be used for a more extended period.
- Some people have observed that the handle is a little looser than other knives.
- What is the weight of the blade?
The knife is 190g (7 ounces) in weight. It is a lightweight knife.
- How long is it?
The length of the knife is 10 inches (including the handle) with 3mm blade thickness.
The customer reviews are neutral to the right on the knife. It is deemed as an excellent left handed knife, but the users have advised that there are better options available in the market.
This knife has many pros and significantly fewer cons, so if the style and the quality interest you, go ahead with the purchase.
Inofia Professional 67 Layer VG10 Japanese High Carbon Stainless Steel Damascus Chef’s Knife
The Inofia left handed Japanese knife has a contemporary design. It has the looks and the function. It comes with a leather sheath and a secure wooden knife stand to display the knife’s beauty.
- It has high carbon steel that is resistant to rust, corrosion, and discoloration.
- The steel has high-grade steel (Wusheng Special Steel).
- It is a versatile knife and can be used for cutting fish, vegetables, fruits, meat, bread, and so much more.
- The knife can be used as a gift because of the knife’s intricate design and the accessories provided with it.
- The handle has an ergonomic design with a Japanese mosaic on it. It has a steel bolster that prevents fatigue.
- The blade is sharp to cut paper-thin slices.
- It cannot be used for hard foods or bone cutting.
- The knife requires maintenance and care (the knife cannot be soaked for long).
What are the length and the thickness of the knife?
Length: 8 inches; Thickness: 2.5mm
The customers have praised the knife for its design, accessories, and adaptability.
The knife is one of the best left handed Japanese knives if you intend to gift it to someone. This knife has a beautiful design with versatility.
Yoshihiro Shiroko High Carbon Steel Kasumi Yanagi Left handed Japanese Knife.
The Yoshihiro left handed Japanese knife is a 100% handmade knife from Japan. The blade has high carbon steel (not stainless) with a unique bolster made of a water buffalo horn. This knife is paired with a Shitan Magnolia wooden case sheath (handmade) to store the knife. The blade is adorned with a beautiful mist pattern amidst the creation.
- This is a professional knife best for cutting fish and sushi (making sure that the fish is cut, not torn).
- The knife is best for sushi chefs who are left handed or work knives with their left hand.
- It ranges from 9.5 inches to 13 inches (this one is 11.8 inches long, including the handle).
- The knife’s blade is sharp and can be sharpened with a high-quality whetstone.
- Comes with knife maintenance accessories, i.e., knife oil, rust eraser, and Magnolia wooden case sheath.
- It comes ready to use in the box.
- It is not mass-produced. Each knife is handcrafted.
- It is not for everyday users (recommended for professionals).
- It is not stainless (can become easily oxidized and rust if not taken care of).
- Requires proper storage care. (Dried and oiled after every use.)
- Requires whetstone investment.
- A little more on the expensive end.
- Does the knife have a significant weight?
Yes, the knife has a significant weight to it; it is on the heavy side.
- How long will the knife work?
The knife will work for a long time as long as it is sharpened and preserved well.
The customer reviews are quite positive on this knife. Most of the buyers are very satisfied with the results and are recommending the knife to others. However, it is noted that most of them are professional chefs.
The Yoshihiro left-handed Japanese knife is a beautiful selection if you look for a knife like a professional chef. It comes with care essentials that help you through the process of maintenance, so the knife has a long run.
Mercer Culinary Asian Collection Yanagi Sashimi Left handed Japanese Knife
Mercer has a fantastic option for a Japanese-style left handed knife. Its thin blade is built for fine dicing and chopping. It has a high carbon German steel with an NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) handle with a lifetime warranty (limited).
- The German steel on the knife is rust-resistant, corrosion and discoloration resistant.
- The sharp blade is beneficial for thin and precise chopping and dicing.
- It is lightweight. Hence it is easier to handle.
- The knife is very Versatile, which means it’s a beautiful tool for vegetables and meats (especially fish).
- It has a firm, non-slip Santoprene handle.
- It has an NSF certification, meaning that it has been through a systematic quality check.
- Very economical for the quality it provides.
- It is ready to use out of the box.
- It requires proper knife maintenance.
- It does not come with knife care tools
- It’s not dishwasher safe.
- There is no case sheath with it.
- It cannot cut through bone or tough objects.
- Is it good for Steak?
You can use it for a steak, but it is not recommended, as it works better with vegetables and fish.
- What is the length of the knife?
The knife is 8 inches long.
The customers do not have any bad talking points about the knife. Many have noted that the knife is a little longer than expected and takes a while to master.
If you want a knife that is good in quality, does the job, and doesn’t break the bank, we would suggest that you should invest in the knife. It has a versatility that all users want, especially when we know that there are not many options for left handed Japanese knives.
- What is better, stainless steel or high carbon steel?
This depends on the user. If you are not a professional chef, it is better to go for stainless steel.
- Is knife maintenance essential?
If you purchase a knife that can rust, it is better to maintain the knife by hand washing it, towel drying it, and storing it in a cool place. It is also suggested to oil it.
Good left handed Japanese knives are a commodity that is lacking in our market. These are some of the best knives available on the market.
For the professionals, the Yoshihiro Shiroko High Carbon Steel is most popular, and for everyday users, the Global left handed Japanese knife is one of the best options available.